Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Give 1 Save 1

Since starting the process to adopt, I have been enjoying meeting new friends from all over who share my passion for adoption.  Beth is one of those people, and when she told me about Give1 Save1, I was super excited to share it with you.  Then my little blogging hiatus happened, I became a bad blogger, and I never did.  Finally, I have the post ready for you - I'm excited to share it with you, from Beth herself!
...............

Hi there!

I'm Beth and I'm pleased to be doing a little guest post for you guys. Let me tell you a little about myself and a little project that you might just want to help with. 

Ok, like I said, I'm Beth. I'm a mom to two, Will and Abby. I'm also mom to two more though I don't know their names yet! That feels weird! We are in the process of adopting two older girls from Ethiopia. Working on our homestudy. 

When we started the process we knew that it would be hard to make $30,000 come through our house in about a year's time. I was trying to think of how my God given talents could help us raise that money. I thought to myself "Too bad rockin' blog skills and a Pinterest addiction can't pay those adoption fees." And then as I was surfing around that day I came across good old Pioneer Woman's website. A routine stop for me. That day she was giving away a KitchenAid. That day over 40,000 people entered a blog contest to win that machine. And then I thought to myself, "If every one of those people gave me a buck, two little girls would have a home and I could worry about stuff besides loans, like raising them." Unfortunately I am no PW and I don't have an army of people. Yet. A new vision was born. Maybe blogging is a gift. Let's see what we can do with this....

So I came up with this idea, Give1 Save1. In the next year I am attempting to get 30,000 people to join the Dollar Mob. It's a group of people that give $1 every week. It comes out of your Paypal account automatically once a week. Your dollar then goes to a new family that is adopting from Africa. So if 30,000 people joined we could fully fund 52 adoptions a year! And in the process we have a good time. There is a new family each week, but we're constantly talking mommy stuff, design stuff, and we have tons of fun giveaways. We've even opened a shop! I know that it's a recession right now and I know it's hard to give, but everyone has a dollar to spare, right? If you'd like to check it out, come on over. Every family is so appreciative of every dollar! 



Thanks so much for having me over and for listening to my hair brained idea!


...................
(Ok, now it's back to me again)  Hair brained?  I think not!  How about utterly BRILLIANT?!  $1 each week.  Or a one time donation.  This would be a great project to get your kids involved in!  Sometimes it takes so little to bless someone SO MUCH!  

You can also become a facebook fan of Give1Save1 to stay updated!


Thanks, Beth!


2 comments:

AstaD said...

what a fantastic idea and I wish you all good luck in adopting little bundles of joy. I do, however, have a question. I live in UK and was never involved in any shape or form with adoption so not sure if it's the same here, but why is it that it takes $30k for adoption? It seems a lot of money for me, but then again as I said I have no idea what this process involves and associated costs. I think for others too it would be great to know why you are being charged 30k to educate and raise children. It seems backwards. I almost feel you should be getting some money to raise such big family.

angie said...

I like the way you think :) Here is a link to an earlier post about why adoption costs so much: http://thecellardoorstories.blogspot.com/2011/08/adoption-why-does-it-cost-so-much.html. About 1/3 or more of our costs will be travel related! Other costs include - agency costs related to doing paperwork, international costs involved in supporting the orphanages and/or transitional homes, paying the nannies, etc. Thanks for your question!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...