Monday, March 21, 2011

Star Wars Birthday Party

Our sweet boy is turning five tomorrow and right now Star Wars is all the rage.  His family party was over the weekend and I wasn't really planning to do much of a theme, but once I started looking around online, my creativity got the best of me!  My main inspirations came from here, here, and here

Once I had the menu planned out, one of the first things I did was make labels for all the food.  I downloaded a special Star Wars font here and copied pictures from J's various Star Wars books.


I think every website and blog I looked at for ideas had one thing in common:  Yoda Soda.  The thing that varied was how to make it.  I chose to go my own way and used pineapple soda (very yellow) with a few drops of blue food coloring to make it Yoda - colored.  We also served Jedi Juice (kool-aid).

 

The rest of the menu included:  "Hutt" dogs with Kenobi Ketchup and Maul Mustard, Fett Fruit Salad (sorry, no pictures of those), Yoda Ears (dill pickle spears),

 

Vader's Veggie Pizza (and the Vader spatula from Williams-Sonoma worked perfectly as a server!),

 
Snips' Chips with Chewbacca's Cheese Dip,

 
Millenium Falcon Mac & Cheese,


Star Wars Fruit Snacks and Candy Coated Light Saber Pretzel Rods (my tutorial is here)..

Carbonite Jello - yep, there's a real Han Solo in there, and nope, he's not in the right outfit, but that's ok (I found this hilarious idea here),

Here's the birthday boy and his best buddy/cousin making sure Han gets out of the carbonite....

Because I am in no way a cake decorator, I always take the easy way out and make cupcakes for parties.  I saw the idea to line the cupcakes up to look like a light saber here, and at my husband's prompting, decided to do the General Grievous (double-sided) version.

Since this was a family party, with only 4 out of the 24 guests being kids, I didn't feel the need to come up with games, but you can click the links above for some great ideas.  (One of my favorites is the Death Star Pinata found here).  Even though there were no games, of course Darth Vader had to make an appearance!


And one last picture...sorry for the blurriness, but had to post this cute smile with one of his favorite new presents!





Click here for a list of parties I may have linked to!

Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

Kelley said...

The jello was GENIUS! love it!

www.gallamorewest.com said...

Great party! I have three little boys so I'm sure a Star Wars party will be on the agenda someday soon. I love your party ideas :)

I'm your newest follower!

http://gallamorewest.blogspot.com

Karen@SimpleBlue said...

That carbonite jello is awesome!

Sugee Andersyn said...

That's a fantastic party!

The Rusty Bucket said...

You're a great Mom! Yoda soda - lol
I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this party.
-Bethanie

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I am currently planning a birthday party for my soon to be 8 year old son and he wants a Star Wars theme too. Until I saw your blog I had no idea how I was going to pull it off....
Now I do! Thanks!

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

Here it is: http://booga-loo.blogspot.com/2011/04/star-wars-birthday-party-finale.html
Thanks for all the inspiration :)

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I was also planning on Yoda Soda - how could a person resist? :) I loved the Yoda Ears too. And the jello was just fantastically hilarious! I think I just might have to use that.

I hope you come back to Domesticated Nomad and see how it all turns out for us. :)

Unknown said...

great ideas! love the guy in the jello. i'm planning a star wars party for next month...thanks for the ideas :)

mary kathryn @ mathews family happenings said...

LOVE Han in the jello! Fantastic! I'm popping over from the CSI Project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...