Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Changeable Wreath

This is one of those projects that turned out nearly exactly how I was hoping it would - yay!  It's also one of those projects that I think came from a brainstorm - and hopefully not a brain fart - as in, I'm hoping I didn't see it on a blog months ago and recreated it, thinking it was my own unique idea!!  I did go through my bookmarks, and I didn't see it in there, so hopefully we're safe. 

I love wreaths, I love burlap, I love fun fabrics, I love decorating.  I don't love storing tons of holiday and seasonal decorations or spending the extra money to buy new decorations for each season.  So I came up with this idea:  a changeable wreath.  I don't really like the name, but I googled synonyms for changeable, and the ones that came up - convertible, malleable, modifiable, adaptable - didn't really fit either.  So for now, it's the "Changeable Wreath."  (Although in my mind, her name is "A-wreath-a Franklin."  :)

I need to remember to take more pictures of the actual process and not just the end results.  But we'll just go with what I have.  The materials I used included:  a straw wreath, burlap, coordinating fabrics, glue gun, buttons, and velcro.  Here's the super simple directions for the wreath part:  cut strips of burlap (I cut mine about 2 or 3 inches wide).  Use your hot glue gun and wrap the strips around the wreath (overlapping a little), gluing with every turn.  I left the plastic wrap on, which is probably the way to go, because then you aren't dealing with a straw mess.  Easy, right? 

Next, I made flowers from fabric.  I used the the tutorials found here and here for a little variety.  I played around with the flowers on the wreath for awhile, and when I had them positioned how I liked them, I grouped them into 3 sections and hot glued them together.  I then put a piece of velcro on the back of each group - first just sticking it on, then after realizing the velcro pack actually read, "not recommended for fabric," I ripped it off and hot glued it on instead.  Yep, the glue gun is my friend.  I'm guessing at some point, it's going to rip off again, so what I actually recommend doing is taking the extra two minutes and sewing the velcro on.


Put the other side of the velcro in three places on your wreath (again, I hot glued)...


So here's the first version of the wreath....The Valentine's Day version...



I love the shabby look of the burlap and fabrics....(not so much the strings of glue, but just pretend you don't see those...)


The Valentine's Day version turned out so cute that you almost forgot about the BEST part, didn't you?!  You can change it up for the next occasion!!!  So, here's the March/St.Patty's Day Version...


and here's a pile of fabric waiting to be transformed to make a fun beachy/summery version...


The possibilities are endless!  Just by using fabric scraps you can totally transform the look whenever a new holiday is approaching, or even if you get sick of looking at the same old thing!  You can always add other things besides fabric flowers, of course.  I have some fun silvery berries that I want to incorporate into a winter version.

Of course I still need to find a great spot for her.  I plan on using a thin strip of burlap for that too.  I had originally planned on hanging it on the front door, but now I'm thinking an indoor spot might be better so it lasts longer.  Maybe I'll just have to make another one for the front door!

Click here for some parties I may have linked to!!
Visit thecsiproject.com

The DIY Show Off

It is always an honor to be featured!!!



Visit thecsiproject.com

27 comments:

Holly C. said...

What a clever idea!

6 Happy Hearts said...

Love this project!

Kristen @ Hope Abound said...

I did a similar wreath last year starting. It's a lot of fun!

http://hopeabound.blogspot.com/2010/10/transitional-fall-wreath.html

Jackie said...

Where do you buy your fabric from?

Margaret said...

This is too adorable! Love it!

Shannon said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
www.oursevendwarfs.com

Highland Mummy said...

Fantastic idea I will be using this!

Courtney and Heather said...

HOW CUTE! I just made myself a burlap wreath and never thought to use velcro to change it up. Such a great idea. Love it!

{Heather}
love2sisters.blogspot.com

Tanya said...

Such a great idea! Looks really cute :)

Screaming Sardine said...

Angie, I love your wreath and the use of velcro to change things up. Very inventive. Thanks for mentioning my rag fabric flowers. They look great on your wreath, especially when you used such colorful fabric.

Cheers,
Tracy

Unknown said...

So so cute & clever!
~Mary
www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

KellyH said...

Beautiful! I should do that to me Halloween wreath that I never finished!

Emily said...

What a cute idea. I am going to have to make myself one just like it. So darling!!!

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

Brilliant!! I LOVE it. Love it, love it! I saw this on Tatertots & Jello's FB page and I'm now posting it on mine as well : )
craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

This is perfect! I love burlap, and I love anything you can change out with the seasons or update as your mood changes. Just great.

I found you at the Shabby Chic Cottage, and I'm your newest follower!

Come visit!

Kelly

Jen said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

Maggie Massey said...

Wonderful! This is just fantastic! You did an amazing job...and I LOVE the fabrics you plan on using for your "beachy" wreath...;)

Green Door Girl said...

Love this idea - I was thinking about doing a wreath like this with burlap and I LOVE the velcro to change out the designs! I am definitely going to borrow this and link back! :)

Janet said...

Oh I just LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing, I have a feeling we'll be the proud owners of one in the near future! :)

Allison said...

What a great idea to keep things cheap from season to season and to stay creative! I love this idea!! I might have to have a craft day with my friends to make these! They'd LOVE them!!! Thanks so much for the idea!
If we do this project I'll be linking back!

Debber-doo said...

Wow I love it, so creative!!!

I'm Krysti said...

What a great idea! I made a similar wreath, but didn't think of putting the flowers directly on the wreath. Genius, I love it! I linked mine up to Bubbly Nature Creations too. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi said...

What an ADORABLE idea ~ soooo cute & I love that it can be changed each month for a fresh new look!

~ Heidi

Heather said...

I love that you can change it!!! This goes on the project list for sure!

Unknown said...

I have been planning on making a burlap wreath myself! Cute! amomseyeview-lulu.blogspo.com

Jennifer said...

Love your wreath! :)

Mary@redo101 said...

Well you've just got the neatest idea for a changeable wreath - I love that! Each time it looks so cute, and can't wait to see what you do with the other fabrics! I found you at the burlap linky party, and I followed your blog. Thanks for sharing with us!

Mary @ Redo101.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...