Friday, May 27, 2011

Porch Swing Makeover

This originally appeared when I guest posted over at Tatertots & Jello last week....I'm reposting it here today in case you missed it...

Today I'd like to share one of our most recent projects ~ our porch swing makeover!!


Built in 1961 and not kept in the best condition, our home has been a bit of a fixer-upper, porch swing included!  Here's what we started with when we first moved in....


Fast forward 3 1/2 years, and my little guy has changed quite a bit, but unfortunately the porch swing had not!  Since we were already in the process of repainting our shutters (which were also the country blue color), it made sense to give our porch swing a makeover too!

List of materials needed:  one old porch swing, sandpaper, paint (we used Valspar Lincoln Cottage Black), paint sprayer (optional....but we have a Graco SprayStation), stencils for lettering, white acrylic paint - I used DecoArt Americana's White Wash).
The first step was to take it down, clean it, sand it, and clean it some more. 


I knew I wanted to cutesy it up a bit by stenciling on a phrase, so we removed two of the slats to be replaced later.  Then it was time to paint!  I had chosen the color "Lincoln Cottage Black" by Valspar.  We used our paint sprayer for a few coats and a foam brush to fix any runs and get all the other nooks and crannies that were hard to reach with the spray.


My handy hubby cut down the new board to fit, and once it was painted, measured out my chipboard letters for me!  What a great guy ~ he handles any project that involves my arch enemy:  measuring.  My tendency is to just eyeball everything, so if it actually needs to look good, he measures it all out.  I first traced around the letters with a pencil, then over the pencil with white paint, and then filled each letter in.  I lost count of how many coats it took, but I think it was around seven, so a little time consuming, but not difficult.  (Of course, those of you lucky ducks with a Silhouette could crank that baby out in vinyl in no time!!)


Once the wording was completely dry, and the new board was attached, we could hang the swing back up in it's rightful place on the front porch.  I whipped up some pillows ~ I use the term "whipped up" very lightly...actually my sewing machine and I were at odds for a few hours, but she finally relented, and we are now back on speaking terms.  Anyway, I plan on eventually painting the front door red, so I used a fun outdoor fabric with some red accents and some red burlap for the pillows.  Since the pillows will be outside, I left the plastic packaging on the pillow forms to protect them from getting wet!  Smart thinking, right?  Well, they make a funny sound when you lean on them, but at least they look good!  Plus, I made the envelope type closure, so I can easily take out the pillow form if I change my mind.
*One quick note ~ I do plan on adding a coat of clear poly over the letters to protect them a little from the elements.  Although if I don't get around to it, we could always just say we were going for the distressed look. :)


So, there you have it, our porch swing makeover ~ I can't wait until all this rain stops so I can go relax on the swing with a nice tall glass of iced coffee in hand!



Linking up to a few of my favorites!

DIY Club
It's always such an honor to be featured ~ THANK YOU!


Ladybird Ln





Domestically SpeakingThe DIY Show Off

SAS Interiors

Visit thecsiproject.com




39 comments:

Lisa Jordan said...

Love the makeover, especially the saying on the swing. That's what sets it apart from other porch swings.

April@MySacredSojourn said...

How cute to use the wording!!! I would LOVE to have a porch swing as beautiful as that one. Maybe someday! :)

I love that wreath in your header...so I'm off to find your post about that!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Really different change! Love it!

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

This looks so gorgeous. It makes my want to revamp my mom's:)

Amanda Joy
www.joyinthejumble.com

Katie said...

fantastic makeover!

just read your 'about me' and im so impressed with your honesty about your faith--you are so right with it being a relationship and not simply religion.

id love for you to check out my blog if you have the time :)

have a wonderful weekend with your precious little ones and hubby!

katie@little things bring smiles

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ What a great makeover! Such a charming little swing and love it in it's new color and with it's sweet message~ Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday- it's darling! :)

Ladybird Ln said...

Oh, I just love it! I have always dreamed of having a front porch swing! I love how it has been around for so long! Thanks for being a showoff on my blog! I am going to feature this post... probably Monday or Tuesday!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

This is amazing...BRAVO my dear!! I featured you over at WhipperBerry today!

kisses

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That swing should be in a magazine ... it's fabulous! I love the words you wrote on it.

LaKeta said...

I saw this on PINTEREST and pinned it right away...it is precious...I love the black and the wider slat with the phrase and the too cute for words pillows!!! Fabulous job!!!

Now following you!

Come check out my blog if you get a chance...

LaKeta
1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

Sandi Sharp said...

Sandi @ Making It Homey said... I love the make over and especially the words. So So Cute

Leslie said...

I have been wanting a porch swing SO BADLY! I have only had a house for almost 2 months and a porch swing is at the top of my list to buy. I would have never thought to spruce it up and have a cute saying on it.

I am loving your blog and am now your newest follower! =)

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

LOVE it! My porch swing is in the attic of my garage -- we haven't lived in a house with a big front porch for 16 years :( I'm thinking maybe it's time to find a way/place to hang it in the back yard in which case, I can copy your adorable stenciled words!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

I LOVE this!! I'm already marking it to featured next week! :)

Jordan McCollum said...

Beautiful! Makes me think of my great grandma's swing. Man, I miss visiting her.

Roeshel said...

It's beautiful, Angie! I love it! We have one sitting in the barn...no porch to hang it from but a wonderful reminder that we do have somewhere else to hang it! ;) I'm including a link back in tomorrow's highlights.

Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade.

Roeshel

Judy @ In His Grip said...

This is super cute. I would love to swing on your porch :o)

~Robin~ said...

Looks fantastic! I LOVE the print fabric you used for the pillows - love love love it!

Last weekend I added "build porch swings" to my hubby's "to do" list and I love the stencil idea! I might have to rip that off :-)

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

LOVE the makeover! Looks great!! I featured this on my blog today, come on by and check it out!

http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/06/five-fabulous-finds-12.html

Kelly

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Oh I want to sit & swing awhile! I'm putting your lovely swing in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Love My Country Home said...

Oh I just love it! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

A said...

So super cute. I am your newest follower:)

Shannon Brennan said...

Love it!!!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

How fabulous-love it.

Debbiedoos said...

WOW! How clever Angie. It turned out really awesome. I would love to swing on that swing for hours!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a fantastic swing and I love the saying you added to it!! Martina

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Your porch swing looks fabulous now, especially with the saying that you painted on it. Your pillows look great on it, too. We have just begun painting our front door red (first coat today). Come on over to see.
link #66 at Debbiedoos

Heaven's Walk said...

Adorable swing! Love the extra love you gave it with the sweet phrase! :) May I ask what type of paint spray gun that you and your hubby use?

xoxo laurie

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

What a great makeover! The swing is really cute!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love the makeover! The swing looks very inviting and FUN!

Dee
Your new follower

JudyBug said...

Love the swing. There is nothing like a porch swing and I need one desperately! I just love what you did!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Porch swings are so inviting. We have one that looks all shabby and seeing yours makes me think about redoing mine. It's adorable!

Stephanie Hillberry said...

Your post reminds me of the nostalgic fondness I always have for porch swings...and how I wish I could have one (not having an adequate porch prohibits this...). Also--kudos on a great makeover!

Stephanie from Make Home Make Sense

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Hi Angie,
What a great makeover! Love how it turned out! I'm stopping by as the guest judge from CSI Project!
happy crafting,
Linda

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making the top ten over at CSI! I wish I had a front porch to add a swing. Your looks awesome!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making the top ten over at CSI! I wish I had a front porch to add a swing. Your looks awesome!

Becca @ The Sassy Penguin said...

Just another reason I want a house with a wrap around porch! I love how you personalized it with the words. Looks nice and cozy :)

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

That porch swing is a winner! Love that you painted on a saying (and you have more patience and a much steadier hand than I ...).

The 7+ coats are well worth the finished product!

:)

Linda
www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

Unknown said...

It’s a great thing that you pushed through with the makeover of your swing. I also love how you added a quote through stencils to do away with the usual repainted swings. I wish I could see how your porch looks from afar, so I can know how charming that swing is!


Regards,
Barrett Elmore

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...