Monday, September 5, 2011

Crock Pot Cooking

Crock pots (I believe slow cooker would be the correct term, since Crock Pot is a brand name?) have to be one of my favorite inventions ever.  Right after indoor plumbing and internet (thanks again for that one, Al Gore!).


Crock Pots have evolved over the years, from the basic on/off model to the programmable version, to a slow cooker trio, to the small little dipper (perfect for warm dips like queso!)  I personally have the one pictured above - nothing fancy, but it serves it's purpose.


New to cooking with your crock pot?  Here's a few hints....
1)  Find a good cookbook.  I use the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook - it has over 700 recipes!  Of course there are plenty of good recipes available by searching online too.
2)  Can't spend time in the morning getting everything ready to go in the slow cooker?  This may seem like a really simple idea, but get everything ready the night before and keep it in the refrigerator.  That way all you need to do in the morning is push a few buttons.
3)  Sometimes the worst part about slow cooker cooking is the clean-up.  There are liners available that work really well, but if you don't want to spend the money, spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray!


Want to know my latest favorite crock pot recipe?  BBQ Pork Sandwiches!  Besides being super easy, it's also really frugal, and also counts as a freezer meal, which I love.  I wait until pork loin goes on sale for around $1.69/lb.  Where I shop, this sale is typically good for only the big cuts of meat - around 10 or so pounds, but the butcher will cut it at no charge!  So here's what I do...buy about 10 pounds and have the butcher cut it in thirds.  I then take it home and put each third in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer.  To make the BBQ Pork, first thaw the pork loin.  Put it in the crock pot and pour a can of root beer over it.  Cook on low for 5 - 5 1/2 hours.  Shred with forks, scooping off any fat.  Mix with your favorite BBQ sauce and cook for another half hour.  Serve on rolls.  That's it!  It feeds a crowd, so if I'm making it for just my family, I can freeze the leftovers for another meal.

Do you love your crock pot too?  What is your favorite slow cooker recipe?


Linking to a few of my favorites ~ check them out!

So FUN to be featured ~ THANKS!

8 comments:

Peggy said...

I love my slow cooker too - I make the BBQ pork sandwiches and also do something similar with roast beef - just pop it in the cooker, add 1 carton of Campbells (or whatever your favourite is) of beef broth and cook for 5-6 hours - it makes the best beef dip ever!

Brie @ Darling Doodles said...

Crock pot cooking is my all time favorite way to cook! This recipe looks really easy and yummy, thanks for sharing! New follower from the tip junkie link party!

Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love my crock pot!
This is currently my favorite recipe:

http://eatathomecooks.com/2008/10/chicken-fiesta-with-black-beans-a-crockpot-recipe.html

Found you through the RH link-up!

Anonymous said...

hmm, root beer on the pulled pork, funny I found your post, I was just going to prep my crock pot for pulled pork tonight!

thetwistedruffle said...

oh, i just made a fudge cake in the crock pot last night! the recipe comes from betty crocker's slow cooker cookbook. it is always so good.

and, i've made au jus sandwiches in the crock pot. my recipe has brown gravy, au jus, water and london broil. so so good! i also batch cook or freezer cook! it saves us so much time! i see you do too!!! my three favorite batch cooking cookbooks are: fix, freeze, feast. don't panic dinner's in the freezer and don't panic, MORE dinner's in the freezer!

Tanya said...

I have never heard of pouring root beer over the pork to cook it. Sounds like it is worth a try. Thanks.

Ladybird Ln said...

What great ideas! I LOVE my crockpot, I probably use it at least once a week, but I am need of an upgrade so thanks for doing my homework!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will try that. I am getting ready to do a annual crockpot idea. I make Apple Butter in my crockpot. It is so easy and I do it overnight so it's ready to can when I get up. I'll share if you want? I have also tried a crockpot Lasagna in the last few week we really liked. Thanks. Miss you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...