Monday, June 27, 2011

Best Yard Sale Finds of the Season (so far)

Oh how I love yard sale season!  There's nothing quite like digging through junk no one wants anymore to find something salvageable to bring home.  Sure I typically feel like I need another shower after a morning of yard sales....but ahhh, the thrill of the hunt!  Here's some of our latest finds....

The first picture is comprised of things we found at a nearby neighborhood that has a "junk day" where everyone puts their junk out on the curb, and anyone can take what they want for free (umm, and also a lot of other random stuff from our messy garage).  Ok, ok, so the old window and one side table were actually not on the curb.  They were found .....ahem...... in a dumpster.  But I should note that they were on top and no one actually had to climb in the dumpster to get them :)  So I guess I technically still can't call myself a dumpster diver.....yet.


The old chair needs a seat...which I'm not sure exactly how to remedy yet.  I'll take any suggestions you can give!  There are two side tables there, the one on legs I am planning to paint white and use as a night stand in our guest room.  The old window I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to put yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something and be sure to let you know!

Ok, so technically this isn't a real yard sale deal either - I found it at my favorite local thrift store.  It was marked $8.99 but was half price that day ~ so only $4.50!  I've already taken a can of spray paint to this cute little table, so once I decide what to put on top of it, I'll share it's transformation.

Ok, the next yard sale deals are really from yard sales, I promise.  First, this kid's rocking chair was a great deal at $3 for our little girl who literally loves anything she can sit on.  The paint job was a little scary, but nothing a can of spraypaint can't fix, so it's also currently undergoing a makeover.


I love vintage boxes and crates, and found this 7-Up crate for only $3.  I love that it's divided in the middle and plan to use it on our coffee table to corral the remotes....maybe then I won't have to be continually searching for them??


 We have also found a ton of cheap brand name clothes for our kids (mostly Carly...it's getting hard to find Jackson good clothes at yard sales lately).  And we even picked up a (free) tray table over the weekend at a yard sale that had ended.  With all these great deals, I still haven't shared our best most exciting find of the season.  Wait for it...............wait for it......


Ohhhhh yeah!  A genuine Steve Urkel doll!  When we spotted this (at a sale that had a garage FULL of dolls ~ it was actually somewhat creepy) we laughed and when they told us we could have it for $1, I knew it was destiny.  Steven Q. Urkel would be coming home with me that day.  Because who doesn't need a daily reminder to "do the Urkel....do the Ur-ur-ur-urkle"?  Meanwhile, Carly is scared to death of the thing and starts trembling when it gets near.  I think it's the stonewashed jeans - she's never seen anything like them.  I might be having a little too much fun with it....Jackson told me yesterday, "Mommy, if you say 'Got any cheese?' one more time, I'm going to have nightmares!"

Hope you enjoyed seeing our newest treasures!


PS...Don't forget to enter my very first giveaway...an item of your choice from KDG Design Co!!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey could you cut a piece of wood the shape of the opening in the chair and cover it with padding and fabric? Maybe attach it underneath with a wood or metal piece with two screws, one in the insert and one in the chair?? I haven't been to any decent yard sales in a while. I love a good deal. You did great! :)

Joy said...

I love the Urkel doll. Too funny!!!

Unknown said...

You must have been in our neighborhood! That 7-up crate was at a house right up the street from me and i saw it Friday night when the sale started and went back for it later and it was gone! So glad it went to you (unless 2 people around here had the same thing for $3!). Love the doll! Too funny!

Terri said...

You found great stuff! I love the 7up crate as well! And, um, that Urkel doll is somethin' special:) I think those stone washed jeans would scare anyone:)

Tanya said...

Super cool finds, and oh my goodness an Urkel doll. Haha! I used to love that show.

Annie said...

Great finds! I know I'm whining, but I never have such luck! I guess I need to go more than twice a year. ;)

Laura Beth said...

I love the rocking chair in the first picture. So much potential!

Thanks for stopping by astepinthejourney!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, especially the Urkel doll. We love watching reruns of Family Matters. Too bad there aren't good shows on like that anymore. Hannah

Roeshel said...

Great finds! I'm with Kathleen on the rocker. Love the crate! LOL at the Urkel doll! Too funny! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Roeshel

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog!!!! Cute ideas! :)

Amanda said...

Great finds! Love the Urkel doll -- I used one at Christmas to make a DJ Lance Rock doll for my little Yo Gabba Gabba fan.

I'm visiting your blog from HoH. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...