Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's Strawberry Season!

My favorite thing about June?  Fresh strawberries!!!  Each year we love to go pick a bunch, and then I spend the next day making freezer jam.  I also freeze some strawberries whole, for smoothie making throughout the year, and also freeze some sliced, for strawberry shortcake or to eat over pancakes or french toast.  We save the rest and for the next few weeks I make a LOT of strawberry dishes.  Jackson and I met a friend at the strawberry patch last night and together picked 24 quarts of berries (at $1.75/quart).

We picked 2 kinds...can you tell?  The small dark berries are the best for jam!
Over the next week or so I'll be sharing a few of my favorite strawberry recipes, but for now the most important:  freezer jam.  Our family is pretty big into good ole PB&J, so we go through a lot of jam over the course of the year.  Nothing beats homemade strawberry jam, and it is very cost effective and easy!!

Here's the heroine of the story (or recipe, as the case may be)....


Ball Instant Fruit Pectin....the "no cook" version.  Grab a pack of this, mix it with 1 1/2 cups sugar.  Stir into a bowl of 4 cups of mashed strawberries for 3 minutes, and then ladle into jars.  Allow to set for at least 30 minutes before putting into the freezer.  Seriously.  That's it.  Repeat as desired, until you have a freezer full of jelly!


Coming up later this week.....the BEST Strawberry Pie EVAH.....hint:  it involves chocolate!

What are your favorite things to make with strawberries?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Angie, I saw a comment you posted at In HIs Grip and thought I'd check you out. I love the blog. I especially love that you say so much with so few words. It's not a skill I have acquired. LOL We have strawberries but we usually just freeze them whole to put in our morning oatmeal, those and the black berries. I have nectarines and peaches come up soon and those I will make freezer jam with. It's gardening fun and it food taste so great when it is fresh. I hope you have a blessed week, Sue.

Anonymous said...

We are paying $3.50 a quart out here and they are going fast. Not sure if I'll make jam and freeze berries with that price. I did get some for a few fresh desserts. Thanks. I want to try that pie too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...